Sunday, May 11, 2014

Food passing through stomach

After food passes through the stomach


Nolan's Doctors had fixed his stomach so he could eat. Now he could not pass the food, (formula at the time), just little pieces of black tar looking stuff. So the Doctors decided that Nolan had Hirschprung's Disease which means his lower intestines attached to his rectum was void of nerves, (dead) not able to push his stool out.  Now this was the hardest surgery for me to endure, they informed me that they were going to go in and cut the lower eight inches of his intestines that attaches to his rectum! That would remove the dead part of his intestines and reattach the part that had nerve, (living cells) onto his rectum.

Now it wasn't that simple, unfortunately.

This procedure required Nolan to have a colostomy, that is a bag attached to his stomach to the upper part of his intestines that are good, above the bad that is being cut off, so that the stool goes into the bag. This is a very dangerous infection risk because the intestine is pulled out of the side of his stomach and put into a roll,if you will, and a sticky adhesive applies the bag to which his stool goes into. Now this is up to the Parents or care takers to keep clean. I have to tell you I thought I was prepared for Nolan to come out of surgery with his intestines routed out his stomach. 

Well they brought him to his room and I said I'm ready let me see it. I must tell you for the first time in my life I thought I was going to faint!


No comments:

Post a Comment